Fireworks Safety - Holiday Weekend

Posted on Wednesday June 27, 2018

MEDIA RELEASE  MUSKOKA FIRE PREVENTION OFFICER

 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

 

Leave Fireworks to the Experts Urges Local Fire Prevention Officers

(Muskoka) – (June 27, 2018) To minimize the risk of fire and burn injuries this Canada Day weekend, the Muskoka Fire Prevention Officers urge residents to attend fireworks displays hosted by their local municipality instead of family fireworks or informal neighbourhood displays.

“Bracebridge, Huntsville, Baysville and Muskoka Lakes will all be hosting fireworks displays with experts who are trained to handle and discharge fireworks safely,” says Bracebridge FPO Mike Peake. “For everyone else, fireworks can be extremely dangerous. For this reason, family fireworks or informal neighbourhood displays are not recommended.”

If you still choose to have a family fireworks or an informal neighbourhood display, check with your local fire department about regulations regarding fireworks. Here are some important safety tips to be followed:

  • Appoint a responsible person to be in charge. Only adults who are aware of the hazards and essential safety precautions should handle and discharge fireworks.
  • Carefully read and follow the label directions on fireworks packaging.
  • Always keep a water hose or pail of water close by when discharging fireworks.
  • Discharge fireworks well away from combustible materials like buildings, trees and dry grass.
  • Keep onlookers a safe distance away, upwind from the area where fireworks are discharged.
  • Light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground. Never try to light a firework in your hand or re-light dud fireworks. For dud fireworks, it is best to wait 30 minutes and soak them in a bucket of water. Dispose of them in a metal container.
  • Discharge fireworks only if wind conditions do not create a safety hazard.
  • Keep sparklers away from children. Sparklers burn extremely hot and can ignite clothing, cause blindness and result in severe burns. As the sparkler wire remains hot for some minutes after burnout, it should be immediately soaked in water to avoid injury.
  • If someone gets burned, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes and seek medical attention, if necessary.

-30-

 

For more information, contact:

 

Douglas Holland, Fire Prevention Officer, Muskoka Lakes Fire Department dholland@muskokalakes.ca or 705-765-3156 Ext. 282

Breyan Sinnott, Fire Prevention Officer, Gravenhurst Fire Department breyan.sinnott@gravenhurst.ca  or 705-687-3414 Ext. 223

Mike Vadlja, Fire Prevention Officer, Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Department fire.inspector@huntsville.ca or 705-789-5201 Ext. 3604 

Mike Peake, Fire Prevention Officer, Bracebridge Fire Department mpeake@bracebridge.ca or

705-645-8258 Ext. 203

Chad Dowell, Fire Prevention Officer, Georgian Bay Fire Department cdowell@gbtownship.ca or

705-538-2765 Ext. 255