Crews Alerted to Smoke in a Home by Working Smoke Alarm

Posted on Thursday August 25, 2016

NEWS RELEASE

August 25, 2016

 

Crews Alerted to Smoke in a Home by Working Smoke Alarm

Department Reminds Residents to ‘Look While You Cook’

 

Gravenhurst, On - At approximately 9:45 p.m. last night, firefighters from Station’s 1 + 2 were alerted to a possible structure fire at 335 Pinegrove Street in Gravenhurst. Arriving crews found the house full of smoke and upon entering were quick to determine the root cause was an unattended pot on the stove.

Homeowners were not at the property at the time, thankfully a neighbour was alerted by the sound of a working smoke alarm and dialed 911. Crews were able to ventilate the structure and no damage was done to the home.

Gravenhurst firefighters would like to remind homeowners that they should never leave their cooking unattended. Stay in the kitchen and “look while you cook”, keeping combustibles away from the stove.

Unattended cooking is the leading cause of fire related injuries in Ontario.  Take this opportunity to check and test your home smoke alarms and practice a home escape plan. ONLY working smoke alarms less than 10 years old can protect you and your family in a fire emergency.

-30-

 

For more information, please contact:

 

Todd Clapp

Deputy Fire Chief

Gravenhurst Fire Department

Todd.Clapp@gravenhurst.ca

Phone: (705) 687-3414