Albion Hotel - Town of Gravenhurst

Albion Hotel

Albion Hotel

Situated at the main intersection downtown, the Albion has been part of the life and heritage of Gravenhurst since the lumber and steamship era. The original Albion Hotel was a frame building built by George Washington Taylor in 1879.  It perished in the Great Fire of 1887. The present red brick hotel of Gothic Revival style rose the following year.  It was known for its pleasant parlors, spacious dining room and well-equipped bar.  In the late 1980's the exterior was restored and the interior converted to apartments and business premises.  It has received a new lease on life under new ownership since 2011.  The ground floor now operates as "Arts at the Albion", and has been popular with the artistic community.  The historic balcony was removed as a safety precaution, and new windows were installed and repainted.  It was designated a heritage structure by the Town in 1983.