Gilmour Hotel - Town of Gravenhurst

Gilmour

Gilmour Hotel

James Sharpe opened the Caledonia Hotel here in 1881, only to see it destroyed in the Great Fire of 1887. In 1888 the hotel was reconstructed as the Empress Hotel, with between 30 to 40 rooms. James Gilmour bought the building in 1906, only to sell it and move away shortly after. Upon his return to Gravenhurst in 1916 he repurchased the hotel, naming it the Gilmour. The hotel and its name continued under various owners until the mid-1980s. In 1987 it was converted into commercial space on the ground floor and residential apartments above.