Historic Gateway Arch - Town of Gravenhurst

Arch

Historic Gateway Arch

An archway has welcomed visitors from the south to Muskoka since 1874. The first arch, made from pine bows and flowers, was erected to mark the visit of Governor-General the Marquis of Dufferin. This first arch was at the intersection of Hotchkiss Street and Muskoka Road. The second arch, called "Lumbermen's Arch", welcomed train passengers to the Muskoka Wharf. It was erected in 1885 by the Mickle Dyment sawmill company.  Since then thousands of tourists, initially arriving by train but the advent of the age of the automobile in the 1920's and 30's subsequently by car, have passed under one or another of the five subsequent arches to be erected in Gravenhurst. The Gateway Arch advertised Gravenhurst as the Gateway to Muskoka Lakes. The current arch at the southern end of town was erected in 2009 after the roadway was widened requiring its predecessor to be removed. It is one of a few civic archways to survive in Ontario.  Wording from an earlier version has been faithfully reproduced on it. The Gateway Arch was designated a heritage structure by the Town that same year.