Masonic Lodge - Town of Gravenhurst

Masonic

Masonic Lodge

 

The 1850's were a decade of high immigration to Ontario, and a time of extensive railway development which opened up much of the country to settlers. As the available farmland in southern Ontario was taken up, settlers in the 1860's and 1870's turned their attention to the Muskoka and Parry Sound regions. The settlers, mostly from the British Isles, brought with them their cultural background, their social activities, and social connections. Many had Masonic backgrounds and it was inevitable that they would find a facility to provide the privilege of assembly and serve as a local lodge. In 1885, Golden Rule Lodge #409, Gravenhurst, was chartered, with W. Bro. W. B. Irving as their first Master. While the site chosen for the Masonic Lodge was built in the 1890's, it originally was a furniture store. It wasn't until 1920 that the three storey building was purchased by seven leading Masons. Masonic meetings continued until 2014 in the ornately fitted upper storey when the building was put up for sale.