Mowry Residence - Town of Gravenhurst

Mowry Residence

Mowry Residence

This two storey Victorian red brick residence dates to circa 1886. Bradley Roe Mowry was the original owner and built the house on the lot which was once the property of Dugald Brown. Mowry also owned the iron foundry, which was the source of the Great Fire of 1887. It wiped out a total of 83 buildings, devastating the heart of Gravenhurst. In 1908 the house was owned by the Link sisters, Annie and Greta. The home subsequently was acquired by the East's who also owned Muskoka Sands, which later became Taboo Resort. In the early 2000's, the house was restored by the Lorenz family and then purchased by current owners Fred and Susan Westover who operate it as a Bed and Breakfast. They added an imposing portico in 2012.  It was placed on the Gravenhurst Municipal Register with in 2012. It received a Muskoka Heritage Foundation built heritage plaque in 2002.