Railway Station - Town of Gravenhurst

Railway Station

Railway Station

Invariably the most important development within a rural community in the late 19th century was the railroad. The railway enabled trade and promoted settlement. In Gravenhurst it was the catalyst for a thriving lumber town and a lively summer resort industry. Northern Railway Canada built Gravenhurst's first station in 1875. In the same year, Northern Railway of Canada built the Muskoka Wharf spur. The plan was to open up the north and offer both rail service and steamship access to the Muskoka water system. The Muskoka Wharf station was built by the Grand Trunk Railway in 1896.

When the original station was destroyed by fire in 1913, Grand Trunk Railway undertook design and construction of the present historic station, which was officially opened in 1919 by Edward, Prince of Wales, who later became King Edward VIII. It was used by the Grand Trunk Railway, Canadian National Railway, and finally, Ontario Northland Railway until September 2012 when rail service was withdrawn. Today it serves as a bus station; people continue to wait for buses in the same place that people used to wait for the trains almost a century ago.

The Railway Station was designated a heritage structure by the Town of Gravenhurst in 2012.