St. James Anglican Church - Town of Gravenhurst

St. James Anglican Church

The first St. James Church was a wood framed structure and existed for five years before burning in the Great Fire of 1887, and was on the site of the current Anglican cemetery. F.A. Fowler was contracted as architect of today's church, built in the spring of 1882, which was dedicated at Christmas in 1888. At the time of construction, it cost $2,215 to complete. Built of red brick, this church features a noteworthy belfry housing a 700 pound bell which was funded from money raised by the Ladies' Aid Society. It has vaulted gothic style windows. The bell tower was itself subject to fire but has been restored. The Bishop of Algoma dedicated a commemorative plaque in celebration of the 143rd anniversary of the church in 2010. St James Church was listed on the Municipal Register in 2013.