Carbon Monoxide Detectors - Town of Gravenhurst

Gravenhurst Fire Truck

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

What is Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless, deadly gas.  Because you cannot see, taste or smell it, carbon monoxide can kill you before you know it is even there.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are very similar to the flu.

  • Exposure to low concentrations of carbon monoxide may produce a slight headache or shortness of breath during moderate activity
  • Exposure to higher concentrations of carbon monoxide may cause a severe headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, mental confusion, weakness, vision and hearing impairment, collapse or fainting, floss of muscle control and drowsiness
  • Exposure to higher concentrations  can result in unconsciousness, brain damage or death

If you inhale carbon monoxide, you could experience any of the above symptoms.  If you or any member of your household is affected, or if the symptoms lessen or disappear when you leave the home, you should suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and take action immediately.

What Can I Do If I Suspect Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • If you have a carbon monoxide concern, call Union Gas or a certified heating contractor.
  • If your carbon monoxide detector alarm sounds and there are no medical symptoms, open all doors and windows and call Union Gas or a certified heating contractor for an inspection.
  • If you are experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning call 9-1-1 and get everyone out of the house.  The Fire Department will respond to check for the presence of this gas.

What Can I Do To Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • Install a carbon monoxide detector if you use a fuel burning heating source such as gas, oil or wood, have a gas hot water heater or have an attached garage.  Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed near the sleeping area of the home.  Follow the manufacturer's instructions that come with the detector.
  • Never ignore your carbon monoxide detector if it sounds.  Call 9-1-1 and get out of the house immediately.
  • Have your furnace and heating system inspected once a year by certified heating contractor.
  • Have your chimney, flues and vents professionally cleaned once a year.
  • Never burn charcoal or run your gas barbecue indoors or in an enclosed area.
  • Never leave a car idling in a garage.

Visit the Fire Safety Council website for more information.

News Release, November 2015