Minor Variances - Town of Gravenhurst

Town Hall

Minor Variances

A minor variance allows for a minor change from the requirements a zoning by-law. For example, you may want to construct a building on your property but the minimum setbacks, lot coverage or height cannot be met.

A minor variance does not change the zoning of a property. It will only allow for minor relief from specific requirements of the by-law in order to obtain a building permit (ex. rear yard setback for a shed).

The Committee of Adjustment is the approval body for Minor Variances in the Town of Gravenhurst. As part of their review, the Committee must be satisfied that the minor variance will meet the following tests as outlined Under Section 45(1) of the Planning Act:

  1. Is the application desirable for the appropriate development of the lands in question?
  2. Does the application conform to the general intent of the Zoning By-law?
  3. Does the application conform to the general intent of the Official Plan?

In order for the Committee to consider approval, the minor variance application must meet all of the tests. Any proposal not considered "minor" must proceed through the Zoning By-law Amendment process, which is considered by Council.

Formal appeals to Committee’s decision can be submitted to the Town within 20 days of the date of decision. The appeal is then forwarded to the Ontario Municipal Board.

In order to ensure timely processing of an application, please contact the Planning Division for a pre-consultation meeting. To support your application, you may be asked for additional information such as a planning justification report. All applications must be completed in full prior to acceptance.

For general information on minor variances and zoning by-laws in Ontario, please visit the following websites:

Minor Variance Application

Minor Variance Application Forms.