Voter Information - Town of Gravenhurst

Voters Information

Voter Information


Return to the Municipal Elections Landing Page

PLEASE NOTE: Telephone & Online Voting (including revisions/additions to the Voters' List) has been extended to Tuesday, October 23, 2018 until 8:00 PM. View the Clerk's Declaration of Emergency and the Statement released by Dominion Voting for additional information.

Electors who have received their Voter Information Letter can cast their votes

by calling 1-866-758-0334


by accessing the voting portal:  https:\\

Here's how to vote by Internet and Telephone:

  • Access the website or phone number listed on your Voter Information Letter. (same as above)

  • Follow the instructions to enter your Voter ID (only the last 8 digits), PIN, Date of Birth and complete security Captcha. In the telephone system: ensure you are entering your Date of Birth in this format: MM/DD/YYYY i.e. 01/01/1982.

  • Accept the mandatory “Declaration of Qualification and Acknowledgement of Offences Statement”.

  • Follow the prompts to move from one contest to the next until the desired votes have been cast.

  • Confirm and submit.

    Click on the icon below to view the Certified Candidates

    & their contact info:

If you are experiencing difficulty or want assistance, a Voter Help Centre is available at Town Hall as follows:



Tuesday, October 23, 2018

8:30 AM to 8:00 PM *EXTENDED HOURS

Electors on the Voters' List would have received a Voter Information Letter in the mail. This letter is the personalized document that gives you the secure access you need to vote.

If you have lost or not received a Voter Information Letter:

You can call 705-687-3412 for assistance or drop by Town Hall at 3-5 Pineridge Gate or email:

If you have any questions please call 705-687-3412 or email:

For up-to-date notifications and Videos check us out on our Facebook page!

Learn more about voting by selecting a topic below.

Things you need to know before you can vote

Voting will take place via the internet or by telephone only - there are no paper or mail-in ballots.

If you require assistance, there will be an Election Help Centre located at Town Hall (3-5 Pineridge Gate) where you can go to request help and cast your votes via the internet.

You must be on the Voters' List and received to vote. Read "Are you on the Voters' List?" below for more info.

If you are on the Voters' List you can vote for:

  • the office of your Ward Councillor (1)
  • the offices of District Councillors(3)
  • a School Board Trustee  (1) 

View the List of Certified Candidates and Acclamations on our Candidates' Page.

You can vote using the Town's voting portal or telephone line starting Friday, Oct 12, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. until Monday, Oct 22, 2018 at 8:00 p.m. (Election Day)

View the Ministry of Municipal Affairs 2018 Voters' Guide to municipal council and school board elections for more information.

If you have any questions prior to receiving your Voter Information Letter, please call 705-687-3412 (during regular business hours) or email:

Who Can Vote

You can vote if you are:

  • a Canadian citizen; and
  • at least 18 years old; and
  • a resident in the Town of Gravenhurst; and
  • a non-resident of Gravenhurst, but you or your spouse own or rent property in Gravenhurst; and
  • not prohibited from voting under any law.


  • You may only vote once in the Gravenhurst Municipal Elections regardless of how many properties you own/rent within the Town.
  • You must vote in the Ward where you live.
  •  If you are a seasonal resident, you must vote in the Ward where your property is located.
  • You can only vote once for the same school board.
  • You can only vote once for the office of District Chair regardless of how many properties you own/rent within the District of Muskoka.

Watch the short video below to learn more about how you can vote!

Who Can't Vote

You are prohibited from voting on voting day if you are:
  • serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution
  • a corporation
  • owner or tenant (or spouse of an owner or tenant) of a commercial property
  • acting as executor or trustee, or in another representative capacity, except as a voting proxy
  • convicted of a corrupt practice described in section 90(3) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, as amended.

Information for Students

If you are a student and consider your "home" to be the place where you live when you are not attending school (or your plan is to return home) then you are eligible to vote in both your home municipality and in the municipality where you currently live while attending school.

If you're attending school in another Town/City, please check with the Clerk of that municipality to find out what your voting options are.

School Board Election Information

In order to vote in a school board election for a trustee, you must be:

  • 18 years of age or older and
  • a Canadian citizen;
  • a resident of municipality or
  • the owner or tenant (or spouse of an owner of tenant) of residential property in a municipality
  • You are only allowed to vote for the same school board once.
  • If you are eligible to vote in a municipality because you are the owner or tenant (or spouse of an owner or tenant) of a commercial property there, you are not eligible to vote for school trustee i.e. Non-resident electors are not eligible to vote for a School Board Trustee candidate.​

There are 4 different kinds of school boards in Ontario:

  • English-language public school board: This is the default – unless you are qualified to vote for a separate or French board, you will vote for the English public school board in your area.

    • area board name: Trillium Lakelands District School Board
  • English language separate school board: You must be Roman Catholic, and you must be a separate school board supporter or the spouse of a separate school board supporter. If your spouse is a Roman Catholic and you are not, you are not eligible.

    • area board name: Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board (Ward 4)
  • French language public school board: You must be a French language rights holder, and you must be a supporter (or the spouse of a supporter) of the French language public school board.

    • area board name: Conseil Scolaire Public du Nord-Est de l'Ontario (Zone A)
  • French language separate school board: You must be a Roman Catholic and a French language rights holder, and you must be a supporter (or the spouse of a supporter) of the French separate school board. If your spouse is a Roman Catholic and you are not, you are not eligible.

    • area board name: Conseil Scolaire de District Catholique Centre-Sud (#64)

“Supporter” refers to which school board the school portion of your property taxes goes to. The default is the public school system.

In order to be a separate school board supporter you must direct your taxes to the separate school board system. Contact the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) at 1-866-296-6722 for more info.

View the List of Certified School Board Trustee Candidates and Acclamations on our Candidates' Page.


When, Where To Vote

WHEN do I Vote?

You can vote by phone or internet any time starting on Fri, Oct 12 at 10:00 a.m. and ending on Mon, Oct 22 at 8:00 p.m. (Election Day)

The voting portal and phone line will be available 24 hours a day during this period.

View the List of Certified Candidates and Acclamations on our Candidates' Page.

WHERE do I Vote?

All votes must be cast us​ing either the internet or touch-tone telephone.

You do not need to leave your home or office to vote - simply place your vote using any touch tone telephone, or online from any location using your computer, tablet or smartphone with internet connection. 

If you require assistance to vote, or would like to vote by internet and do not have access at home, you can visit the Election Help Centre information below.

Election Help Centre

Your Gravenhurst Election Help Centre is located at the Municipal Office (Town Hall)

During the voting period, Town Hall (3-5 Pineridge Gate) will be designated as the Election Help Centre and will be equipped with voting equipment and internet access at the kiosk stations.

The Election Help Centre will provide electors with the option of voting in a specified location, with the assistance of an election official, if required.

Other municipal locations, such as the Gravenhurst Public Library, are available to provide internet access for individuals that do not have access to a computer device and/or internet service.

Identification (I.D.)

You do not require further I.D. if you are on the Voters' List. Review "Are you on the Voters' List?" for more information.

You will need I.D. if:

  • you need to add yourself to the Voters' List


  • you attend the Election Help Centre (Town Hall) and need to add yourself to the Voters' List

Remember, bring 1 piece of ID showing your name and qualifying Gravenhurst address.

Documents showing name & Gravenhurst address accepted:

  • Ontario issued photo card, driver’s licence or motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion).
  • Cancelled personalized cheque, credit card or bank account statement.
  • Utility bill for hydro, telephone or cable TV, water, gas or a bill from a public utilities commission.
  • Cheque stub, T4 statement or pay receipt issued by an employer.
  • Statement of direct deposit for Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program.
  • Property tax assessment, income tax assessment notice, Child Tax Benefit statement.
  • Mortgage statement, lease or rental agreement.
  • Transcript or report card from a post-secondary school.
  • Document showing campus residence, issued by the office or officials responsible for student residence at a post-secondary institution.
  • Any other document from the government of Canada, Ontario or a municipality in Ontario or a document issued or certified by a court in Ontario.
  • Any document from a Band Council in Ontario established under the Indian Act (Canada).
  • Insurance policy or insurance statement.
  • Loan agreement or other financial agreement with a financial institution.
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E.
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS), Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P), Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contributions.
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007.
  • CNIB card or a card from another registered charitable organization that provides services to persons with disabilities.
  • Document showing residence at a long-term care home under the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, issued by the Administrator for the home.
  • Hospital card or record.


Ontario regulation 304/13 for voter identification under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 as amended

Accessibility & Accommodations

The Town is committed to ensure that all qualified electors have their opportunity to vote.

Internet and Telephone Voting provides the most accessible methods to participate in the municipal elections. These methods of voting:

  • eliminate the need for Voters to physically attend a polling station.
  • provide the voter to use familiar technology (their own devices).
  • offer the convenience of an extended voting period starting Fri, Oct 12 at 10:00 a.m. and ending on Mon, Oct 22 until 8:00 p.m.

At the discretion of the Clerk, special requests may be considered for an Election Official to travel to a location with a laptop/tablet to assist voters who require accommodations. 

Election officials are trained to interact with people with disabilities and those who are accompanied by either a support person or a service animal.

If you require assistance inside the Election Help Centre you may bring an assistant or friend along or ask an Election Official for assistance. Your assistant or friend may go to the voting area with you, but they must complete a Declaration. Election Officials take an Oath of Secrecy when they are appointed.


You can review our 2018 Municipal Elections Accessibility Plan to view our pledge in removing barriers for people with accessible needs.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will there be an advance voting period?

There is no longer an advance voting period. You can vote by phone or online any time between Fri, Oct 12 at 10:00 a.m. until Mon, Oct 22 at 8:00 p.m.

Is proxy voting still allowed?

There is no need for proxies.

Proxy defined: this is when an eligible voter designates another eligible voter to vote on their behalf if they are unable to do so themselves.

Eligible voters can cast their votes using the internet from anywhere in the world, or by using a touch-tone phone from anywhere in North America.

Can I get a demo of the system and ask questions?

Before and during the Voting period (Oct 12-22), you can get help in a variety of ways:
  • visit Town Hall at 3-5 Pineridge Gate during regular business hours
  • call the Town Hall at 705-687-3417 during regular business hours
  • attend the Election Open House on Friday, August 17, 2018 between 2-4 PM in the Council Chambers
  • asking Election Staff at our general election pop-up at various locations, times and events during the month of August
  • email anytime

Where can I go to get in-person help/support?

The Election Help Centre (Town Hall) will be set up with voting kiosks for anyone seeking assistance to cast their vote via the internet only.

When, where and how do I found out who the candidates are?

To view the List of Certified Candidates and Acclamations visit our Candidates' Page. 

Have the wards changed?

Boundaries have not changed. For your convenience, you can view the Town of Gravenhurst Ward Boundaries Map.

NEW! Interactive Mapping:

Will free transit be provided for voters?

Because voting can now take place from any location, free transit will not be provided for voting purposes.

Will you be hiring staff to help with voting?

The Town will not be hiring additional staff for the 2018 Municipal Election. The Town has developed an internal Elections Working Group comprised of staff from every department, and those Election Officials may be required to assist at the Election Help Centre (Town Hall). 

What is the difference between the Municipal Elections and Provincial Elections?

Municipal Elections are managed by Municipal Clerks to allow voters to select candidates to offices in local government (Mayor, Councillors, District Councillors, District Chair, and School Board Trustees).
  • Municipal Election Day is October 22, 2018

The Provincial Election is managed by the Province to allow citizens to vote for a political candidate to represent them at the Provincial Parliament (Legislature).

  •  The Provincial Election Day was June 7, 2018

Are we voting for the District Chair?

No, the current government has reverted to the method of appointment of this position. Visit the District Municipality of Muskoka's Website for more information on provincial announcement related to the District Chair position.

Can I vote for candidates in wards other than the one I live in?

No, if you live in/own property in Gravenhurst, you must vote for a candidate representing the ward you live in/property is located in.

This information will be contained in the voting system - whether you vote online or by phone - you will only be permitted to vote for a candidate running for Councillor of your "home" ward.

If I own more than one property in Gravenhurst can I vote more than once?

No, each person is entitled to only 1 vote for each office, no matter how many properties they own in Gravenhurst.

If you don't live in Gravenhurst, but own property here, you may vote for all offices and the Councillor candidate representing the ward where your property is located.

If you own more than one property, you must choose only one ward to vote for.

You should also make sure that you are on the Voters' List for that qualifying address. Non-resident electors are not eligible to vote for a School Board Trustee candidate.