The Muskoka Builder's Association donated a booth at their annual Muskoka Home & Cottage Show, held at the newly renovated Gravenhurst Centennial Centre on April 27th, 28th and 29th to the Muskoka Association of Fire Chiefs to promote Fire Safety.
Representatives from Gravenhurst, Muskoka Lakes, Huntsville, Lake of Bays, Bracebridge and Georgian Bay Fire Departments were on hand to talk to the public about smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, open air burning guidelines and general fire safety.
Approximately 350 people visited with the Fire Department representatives over the course of the weekend, with several people taking fire safety information material home with them.
The Muskoka Association of Fire Chiefs also had a draw for 11 prizes, consisting of three Ten year, Lithium Battery Smoke Alarms, Three Digital Carbon Monoxide Alarms and Five talking Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Alarm combination units, that were graciously donated by Kidde Canada. There were 125 ballots filled in for the draw.
The Gravenhurst Fire Department's Chaplain, Reverend Dr. J. Sitler, assisted by drawing the 11 winners. There were two each from Bracebridge and Orillia, three from Gravenhurst and one each from Burk's Falls, Burlington and Hamilton!
There was a skill testing question that had to be answered correctly to win the draw, and we are happy to report that almost everyone we spoke to knew the correct answer.
We asked "How often should you replace your smoke alarm?" Of course, the correct answer is every ten years, or in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations.
While we were talking to people about the 10 year service life of smoke alarams we were very happy to note that everyone knew they should change the batteries in smoke alarms at least twice a year, and most people informed us they changed the batteries in their smoke alarms whrn the clocks changed in the spring and fall!
We also had several people discussingCarbon Monoxide alarms with us. Carbon Monoxide alarms have a service life of 7 years and should be installed on every level of a home in a location where the alarm can be heard in any sleeping area. Every home that has a fuel fired appliance or an attached garage should have a Carbon Monoxide alarm.
We had a miniature "Muskoka Forest Fire Danger Rating" sign like the one installed on Highway 11 North at the Muskoak Tourism Centre, and we included the open air burn guidelines from each of the municipalities. Several people had questions about campfires and fires for "cookingand warming". Please contact your local fire department for more information.