Property Taxes

Due dates

Normally, property taxes are due twice per year:

  • Interim bill (calculated as 50% of the previous years' total taxes) – last business day of March
  • Final bill – last business day of August

Supplementary and omitted tax bills

We may also issue supplementary and omitted bills throughout the year. These bills are due within 21 days from the day we issue them. They show any additions or improvements to your property, which increase your property's assessment. Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) determines its value.

Haven't received your tax bill?

Haven't received your tax bill and the due date is drawing near? Please call us at 705-687-3412 ext. 2227 or send us an email at We don't consider failure to receive a tax bill a reason for non-payment.

Payment methods

We offer the following payment methods for property taxes:

Payment plans

To help you save time and avoid late payment charges, we offer two types of pre-authorized payment plans which automatically withdraw the amount(s) due from your bank account.

Installment Plan

Your regular tax bill is mailed to you as usual, but the amount due is automatically withdrawn from your bank account on the due date.

11-Month Plan

We spread out your taxes owing over 11 monthly payments instead of just two. We withdraw the same amount on the 30th of each month from November to August. Then, on the 30th of September, we will withdraw an adjusting amount that could be more or less than your normal payment to ensure that your yearly taxes are paid in full.

Supplementary and omitted tax bills are not included in payment plans

Supplementary and omitted tax bills are not part of the pre-authorized payment plans. You will have to pay them separately.

Sign up for a payment plan

Complete the pre-authorized payment plan form to sign up for either of our payment plans. Make sure to attach a void cheque or bank account information form from your financial institution, and send it to us:

  • Mail or in person at 3-5 Pineridge Gate, Gravenhurst, ON P1P 1Z3
  • Email:
  • Fax: 705-687-7016

Selling your property or changing bank accounts?

Send us an email at or give us a call at 705-687-3412 ext. 2227 if you're selling your property or have a new bank account. We require 21 days' notice, in writing, to cancel a pre-authorized payment plan or change the bank account we have on file.


  • If you do internet banking, go to your bank's website and log in.
  • Type "Gravenhurst" and then select "Gravenhurst Taxes" as a payee.
  • Enter your account number, which is your roll number found on the top left-hand corner of your tax bill. Do not enter any spaces, dashes, or periods.
  • Ensure you have entered the correct roll number for the property that you are trying to pay or your payment will not be applied to your account.
  • Remember to allow 3-5 business days for your payment to reach us.

If your bank does not accept a 19-digit account number, you may leave out the last four digits of your roll number (e.g., “0000”).

If you have any problems

If you have any problems while making your payment, please contact your bank.

By mail

Mail a cheque payable to Town of Gravenhurst to the following address:

3-5 Pineridge Gate
Gravenhurst, ON
P1P 1Z3

The day we receive your cheque will be considered the date of payment. If we receive your cheque after the due date, you will incur penalty on the amount outstanding.

Post-dating your cheque

We accept cheques post-dated to the due date.


If you need a receipt, please return the entire bill intact and send a self-addressed stamped envelope.

At the bank

You can pay at your bank at the:

  • ATM (Automated Teller Machine)
  • Teller, who will stamp your bill with the date of payment

In person

You can pay in person with cash, cheque or debit during regular office hours at the Taxes/Payments counter in the Town Office.


3-5 Pineridge Gate
Gravenhurst, ON
P1P 1Z3

We do not accept credit card payments

Please note that we do not accept credit card payments for taxes.

After hours

You can drop off your payment 24 hours a day in the drop-off box at the Town Office.


3-5 Pineridge Gate
Gravenhurst, ON
P1P 1Z3

Do not pay by cash

Please do not put cash in the drop-off box.

Change of address

Moving? Please update your address with us so that we can mail your tax bill to the right place!

A change of address form is on the back of your tax bill. Mail your completed form to:

Town of Gravenhurst
Tax Department
3-5 Pineridge Gate
Gravenhurst, ON
P1P 1Z3

You can also send us your change of address notification by:

  • Canada Post change of address notification forms
  • Email:
  • Fax: 705-687-7016
  • Phone: 705-687-3412 ext. 2227

Tax refunds, reductions and rebates

We calculate your property taxes based on your property assessment, which is determined by MPAC. If you do not agree with your assessment, please contact MPAC directly.

Cancellation, reduction or refund of taxes

You may qualify for a cancellation, reduction or refund of taxes, if:

  • Your building experienced a fire or was demolished
  • Your assessment contains a significant error that is clerical or factual in nature (this does not include errors in judgment in assessing the property; in this case, contact MPAC directly)
  • Your property could not be used for its normal use to do repairs or renovations for at least 3 months during the year
  • Your property was previously non-residential but has changed use in the year
  • Your property was granted exempt status in the year

Application for tax appeal

If you qualify for a cancellation, reduction or refund of taxes based on the above, please submit an application for tax appeal no later than the last day of February year after the application's year.

Provide details of your appeal

Please provide the details of your appeal along with copies of any relevant documents that support your appeal (e.g., demolition permit, contractor invoices, fire department report).

Sending your appeal

You can send your completed application to us by:

  • Mail or in person at 3-5 Pineridge Gate, Gravenhurst, ON P1P 1Z3
  • Email:
  • Fax: 705-687-7016

Tax rebates

The District Municipality of Muskoka offers tax rebates to legions and registered charities. If you meet the conditions as set by the District of Muskoka, complete the application form and you can submit them to the Town of Gravenhurst by:

  • Mail or in person at 3-5 Pineridge Gate, Gravenhurst, ON P1P 1Z3
  • Email:
  • Fax: 705-687-7016

Tax relief programs

If you are having difficulties paying your tax bill, the District Municipality of Muskoka provides several tax relief programs that you may be eligible for.

How property taxes are calculated

We calculate your property taxes using the current value assessment (CVA) of your property and multiplying it by the combined upper tier, lower tier, and education tax rates for your property's tax class.

Current value assessment (CVA)

A CVA is a dollar value assigned to your property, which MPAC determines. Please contact MPAC directly if you have any questions about your assessment or visit their website to find out how your property assessment is determined.

Tax rate

The overall tax rate applied to your property is made up of a combination of different tax rates: the education tax rate, the upper-tier tax rates, and the lower-tier tax rates. To find out which tax rate is applicable to your property, see our Tax Rates page.

Property tax calculator

Try out our property tax calculator to see how much your taxes should be.


Contact Us

Cathy Ley
Administrative Clerk II - Revenue & Taxation

Town of Gravenhurst, 3-5 Pineridge Gate, Gravenhurst ON, Canada, P1P1Z3

T. 705-687-3412 ext.227, Toll Free: 1-855-687-3412, F. 705-687-7016