Things to Know Before You Vote
Voting will take place via the internet or by telephone only - there are no paper ballots.

If you wish to vote in-person or require assistance, an Election Help Centre will be located at Town Hall (3-5 Pineridge Gate).

To receive a ballot, you must be on the Voters' List. Read "Are you on the Voters' List?" below for more info.

If you are on the Voters' List you can vote for:

  • the office of Mayor (1)
  • the office of your Ward Councillor (1)
  • the offices of District Councillors (up to 3)
  • a School Board Trustee (1)
 Who Can Vote

You can vote if you are:

  • a Canadian citizen;
  • at least 18 years old;
  • a resident in the Town of Gravenhurst;
  • a non-resident of Gravenhurst, but you or your spouse own or rent property in Gravenhurst; and,
  • not prohibited from voting under any law.

More Information:

  • You may only vote once in the Gravenhurst Municipal Elections regardless of how many properties you own/rent within the Town.
  • You vote for the Ward where you live.
  • If you are a seasonal resident, you vote in the Ward where your property is located.
  • You may only vote once for a school board.

Seasonal VS Permanent Resident - Am I Qualified to Vote?

 Who Can't Vote
 You are prohibited from voting on voting day if you are:
  • serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution;
  • a corporation;
  • owner or tenant (or spouse of an owner or tenant) of a commercial property;
  • acting as executor or trustee, or in another representative capacity; or
  • convicted of a corrupt practice described in section 90(3) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, as amended.

Seasonal VS Permanent Resident - Am I Qualified to Vote?

How to Vote (Online/Phone)
 Information for Students
If you are a student and consider your "home" to be the place where you live when you are not attending school (or your plan is to return home) then you are eligible to vote in both your home municipality and in the municipality where you currently live while attending school.


When, Where to Vote
 When Do I Vote?

October 24, 2022, is Election Day. The voter portal will open on Monday, October 17, 2022 at 10:00 a.m. and will remain active until the close of the election (October 24, 2022 at 8:00 p.m.)

 Where Do I Vote?
All votes will be cast either through the internet or by telephone.

You do not need to leave your home or office to vote - simply place your vote using any touch tone telephone, or online from any location using your computer, tablet or smartphone with internet connection. 

If you require assistance to vote, or wish to vote in person, you can visit the Election Help Centre information below.  Electors will be offered an electronic device to cast their vote.

Identification (I.D.)

You do not require further I.D. if you are already on the Voters' List. Review "Are you on the Voters' List?" for more information.

You will need qualifying I.D. if you need to add yourself to the Voters' List.


Documents showing name & Gravenhurst address accepted:

  • Ontario issued photo card, driver’s licence or motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion).
  • Cancelled personalized cheque, credit card or bank account statement.
  • Utility bill for hydro, telephone or cable TV, water, gas or a bill from a public utilities commission.
  • Cheque stub, T4 statement or pay receipt issued by an employer.
  • Statement of direct deposit for Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program.
  • Property tax assessment, income tax assessment notice, Child Tax Benefit statement.
  • Mortgage statement, lease or rental agreement.
  • Transcript or report card from a post-secondary school.
  • Document showing campus residence, issued by the office or officials responsible for student residence at a post-secondary institution.
  • Any other document from the government of Canada, Ontario or a municipality in Ontario or a document issued or certified by a court in Ontario.
  • Any document from a Band Council in Ontario established under the Indian Act (Canada).
  • Insurance policy or insurance statement.
  • Loan agreement or other financial agreement with a financial institution.
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E.
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS), Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P), Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contributions.
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007.
  • CNIB card or a card from another registered charitable organization that provides services to persons with disabilities.
  • Document showing residence at a long-term care home under the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, issued by the Administrator for the home.
  • Hospital card or record.


Ontario regulation 304/13 for voter identification under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 as amended

Accessibility & Accommodations

For the health and safety of all Voters and Candidates, participants will require to follow all current COVID-19 measures as set by the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit and the Town of Gravenhurst 

The Town is committed to ensure that all qualified electors have an opportunity to vote.

Internet and Telephone Voting provides the most accessible methods to participate in the municipal elections. These methods of voting:

  • eliminate the need for Voters to physically attend a polling station
  • provide the voter to use familiar technology (their own devices)
  • extended voting period

At the discretion of the Clerk, special requests may be considered for an Election Official to travel to a location with a laptop/tablet to assist voters who require accommodations. 

Election officials are trained to interact with people with disabilities and those who are accompanied by either a support person or a service animal.

If you require assistance inside the Election Help Centre you may bring an assistant or friend along or ask an Election Official for assistance. Your assistant or friend may go to the voting area with you, but they must complete a Declaration. Election Officials take an Oath of Secrecy when they are appointed.


The 2022 Municipal Elections Accessibility Plan was developed to help remove barriers for people with accessible needs.

Frequently Asked Questions
 Will there be an advance voting period?

The Voting module will be open on Monday, October 17, 2022, at 10:00 a.m.  It will remain open until the close of the election on Monday, October 24, 2022, at 8:00 p.m.

 Is proxy voting still allowed?

As the voting method is by telephone and through the internet, there is no need for proxy voting.

Eligible voters can cast their votes using the internet from anywhere in the world, or by using a touch-tone phone from anywhere in the world.

 Can I get a demo of the system and ask questions?
 Before and during the Voting period you can get help in a variety of ways:
  • call the Town Hall at 705-687-3412 Ext.2232 during regular business hours
  • asking Election Staff at our general election pop-up at various locations, during the year throughout
  • email at anytime
 Where can I get in-person help/support?
The Election Help Centre will be set up with voting kiosks for anyone seeking assistance to cast their vote.
 When, where and how do I find out who the candidates are?
 To view the list of Candidates visit our Candidates' Page. 
 Will free transit be provided for voters?
 As voting can occur at any location, transit will not be provided for voting purposes.
 Will you be hiring staff to help with voting?
The Town will not be hiring additional staff for the 2022 Municipal Election.
 What is the difference between Municipal Elections and Provincial Elections?
Municipal Elections are managed by Municipal Clerks to allow voters to select candidates to offices in local government (Mayor, Councillors, District Councillors, and School Board Trustees). Municipal elections occur every (4) years in accordance with the Municipal Election Act.
  • Municipal Election Day is on October 24, 2022

The Provincial Election is managed by the Province to allow citizens to vote for a political candidate to represent them at the Provincial Parliament (Legislature).

  •  The Provincial Election Day was on June 2, 2022
 Are we voting for the District Chair?

No, this position is not elected at large. Please visit the District Municipality of Muskoka's Website for more information.

 Can I vote for Ward candidates in a Ward other than the one I live in?
No, you must vote for a candidate representing the ward you live in/property is located in.
Election Help Centre
The Election Help Centre is located at Town Hall (3-5 Pineridge Gate, Gravenhurst).

The Election Help Centre and will be equipped with electronic voting equipment and privacy kiosk stations.

Assistance of an election official, if required, will also be available.

Other municipal locations, such as the Gravenhurst Public Library, are available to provide internet access for individuals that do not have access to a computer device and/or internet service.

If I own more than one property in Gravenhurst, can I vote more than once?
No, each person is entitled to only 1 vote for each office, no matter how many properties they own in Gravenhurst.

 School Board Election Information

 In order to vote in a school board election for a trustee, you must be:
  • 18 years of age or older;
  • a Canadian citizen; and
  • a resident of municipality, or the owner or tenant (or spouse of an owner of tenant) of residential property in a municipality.
  • You are only allowed to vote once for a school board.
  • If you are eligible to vote in a municipality because you are the owner or tenant (or spouse of an owner or tenant) of a commercial property, you are not eligible to vote for school trustee.

There are 4 different kinds of school boards in Ontario:

  • English-language public school board: This is the default – unless you are qualified to vote for a separate or French board, you will vote for the English public school board in your area.

    • area board name: Trillium Lakelands District School Board
  • English language separate school board: You must be Roman Catholic, and you must be a separate school board supporter or the spouse of a separate school board supporter. If your spouse is a Roman Catholic and you are not, you are not eligible.

    • area board name: Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board (Ward 4)
  • French language public school board: You must be a French language rights holder, and you must be a supporter (or the spouse of a supporter) of the French language public school board.

    • area board name: Conseil Scolaire Public du Nord-Est de l'Ontario (Zone A)
  • French language separate school board: You must be a Roman Catholic and a French language rights holder, and you must be a supporter (or the spouse of a supporter) of the French separate school board. If your spouse is a Roman Catholic and you are not, you are not eligible.

    • area board name: Conseil Scolaire de District Catholique Centre-Sud (#64)

“Supporter” refers to which school board the school portion of your property taxes goes to. The default is the public school system.

In order to be a separate school board supporter you must direct your taxes to the separate school board system. Contact the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) at 1-866-296-6722 for more info.

*View the List of School Board Trustee Candidates on our Candidates' Page.


Contact Us