Skip to main content Skip to footer

Business Licences

The Legislative Services Department carries out the responsibilities of licensing various businesses, liquor and lottery gaming governed municipally and provincially.

Please Note:

  • Appointments are preferred. Town Staff can issue Business Licenses Monday to Friday during regular business hours. 
  • If you operate your business in other communities, you may need a separate licence.
  • The fee for these types of licenses is identified within the User Fees & Charges By-law and is due payable when you submit your application for processing.

The Town of Gravenhurst Licencing Officers will be issuing Short-Term Rental Accommodation licences starting in 2023. Please refer to By-law 2022-58 for important information and licencing eligibilty.

The definition of a Short-Term Rental Accommodation in Gravenhurst is: "the use of a dwelling unit that operates of offers a place of temporary residence, lodging or occupancy by way of concession, permit, lease, licence, rental agreement, or similar commercial arrangement for any period equal to or less than twenty-eight (28) consecutive calendar days, throughout all or any part of the calendar year, unless otherwise prohibited by this By-law or any other By-law of the Town of Gravenhurst."

Please visit our short-term rental page for the online licence application form and further information. 

The Town's Licensing Officers issue licenses for a variety of businesses in Gravenhurst to ensure public health and safety:

If you are looking to apply for a licence for:

Please visit the appropriate page for more information and our applications.

The Legislative Services Department issues lottery licenses to eligible organizations as authorized through the Order in Council 1413/08 and is enforced under the Criminal Code of Canada.

AGCO Applications & Information


Please contact the Legislative Services Department with your completed application form

Helpful Resources and Information

Is your organization holding a raffle or hosting a Bingo event?

The word Winner with fireworks around it

A lottery licence is required if all of the following exist:

  • a prize
  • a chance to win a prize
  • a consideration or a fee

Types of lotteries that may be licensed are:

  • Raffle (prize up to $50,000.00)
  • Regular or Media Bingo (events with prizes up to $5,500)
  • Break Open Tickets (“Nevada Tickets” or “pull tabs')


Only charitable organizations can obtain a lottery licence according to the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) 

Your organization must fall within one of these four classifications to be eligible:

  • Relief of poverty
  • Advancement of education
  • Advancement of religion
  • Any purpose considered beneficial to the community

Some examples include:

  • Minor/youth sports leagues
  • Service clubs
  • Religious organizations

Some examples of organizations which are NOT eligible for a lottery licence include:

  • Adult sports teams
  • Social clubs
  • Professional associations, unions, employee groups
  • Elected representative groups including municipal, regional, provincial and federal governments
  • Political lobby groups
  • Political parties
  • Adult hobby groups
  • Private sports clubs (e.g. golf/curling)
  • Individual youth sports teams
  • A group promoting a private interest (e.g. stag and doe, individual youth sports team)

Lottery eligibility packages can be obtained by contacting the Administrative Assistant for Records and Licensing 

Making Application

  • Review the AGCO's Terms and Conditions prior to filling out your application.
  • View and print any of the Application Forms or Guides on the AGCO's Website for the various Lottery types.
  • Complete the application and submit it and the licence fee of 3% of the prize value to the Legislative Services Department at the Municipal Office – 3-5 Pineridge Gate, Gravenhurst, ON during regular office hours.


Final Reports are due at the Municipal Office within 30 days after the completed event. Report forms are available by contacting the Administrative Assistant for Records and Licensing or from the AGCO's Website.

Liquor Licences and Special Occasions Permits are issued by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO).

Liquor Licences

Liquor Licensing in Ontario is monitored by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO).

In order to receive a liquor licence for your establishment, the Municipal Information Form included in the application package provided by the AGCO must be filled out and provided to the Director of Legislative Services for review and signature.

Other departments are advised of the application and inspections may be required through the local our Fire Department and/or Building Division.

For more information or forms, visit the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.

Special Occasion Permits

Special Occasion Permits are for the sale and service of alcohol at special occasions, such as:

  • weddings
  • charity fundraisers
  • receptions

Special Occasion Permits are issued through select Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO) stores.

In certain circumstances, the Director of Legislative Services/Clerk and other town departments are advised of the application and details of the event. Please review the application requirements carefully by visiting the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.

For any other types of business licenses or permits including a Provincial Master Business License or Business Name registration, we encourage you to contact our Economic Development Team  or visit our Business Resource Page or our Economic Development Page for more information on starting a business in Gravenhurst.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.