Skip to main content Skip to footer

Sign Permits

The Town of Gravenhurst’s Sign By-law 2022-10 regulates all outdoor signs and advertising space. This by-law ensures that signs are safe, appropriate in size, number and location, and consistent with the visual character of the Town and our commitment to preserving the dark sky. Depending on the type of sign proposed, a sign permit may be required. 

The updated Sign By-law 2022-10, which will repeal and replace By-law 2017-137, includes: 

  • Additional sign definitions
  • New section for Mobile Signs
  • Requirements for Sign Permits
  • Maximum number of Signs permitted to be displayed on business and store faces
  • Maintenance requirements for Legal Non-Conforming Signs
  • Sets the parameters for Permitted Signs in specific zones as per the Town’s Zoning By-law 2010-04

A sign permit from the Town of Gravenhurst may be required prior to installation or substantial alteration of the following types of signs:

different types of advertising signs

The Sign By-law treats the BIA as a special section and imposes a different set of regulations:

  • Signs in this area are requested to conform with the Façade Design Guidelines (see page 19)
  • Signs in this area cannot be backlit, but can be externally illuminated (i.e. Gooseneck Lighting)

Before you complete the application form, ensure you have the following items: 

  • Written authorization from the property owner
  • Detailed site plan with an overview of the property indicating the location of the sign (including adjacent streets, buildings, existing signs, setbacks)
  • Elevation and cross section views of the proposed sign
  • Structural detail of the proposed sign (dimensions, design, and materials)
  • Schedule 1 Designer Information (if applicable) 

If the proposed sign will be affixed to a building:

  • Drawings/specs identifying the location on the building where the sign will be affixed
  • Details about how the sign will be anchored 

All sign designs must be in compliance with the Town of Gravenhurst Dark Sky By-law as well as any other applicable by-laws and regulations. 

Note: Proposed signs located in the Hwy 11 Corridor require MTO approval before applying for a sign permit with the Town of Gravenhurst. 

For more construction details refer to section 8 of the Sign By-law.

Some incidental signs such as election signs, rezoning/development notification signs, incidental signs, and sandwich boards are still regulated in the by-law but do not require a sign permit. Before placing these types of signs please refer to the By-law and please feel free to contact the By-law Enforcement Division for more assistance.

  • Abandoned or obsolete
  • Roof signs
  • Flag signs
  • Illuminated signs in the BIA (see section 3 of the By-law for exceptions)

Sign complaints may be submitted using the Town of Gravenhurst Complaint Form. Please provide the relevant information and you will receive an update from an inspector.  

Yes! The Community Improvement Program includes tax incentive grants for qualified projects. Façade and Streetscape Design Guidelines are in place to create a more cohesive and inviting look and feel in the designated urban area.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.