Skip to main content Skip to footer

Commissioner of Oaths

The Town has staff that are appointed Commissioners for taking Affidavits, etc. Commissioners may take affidavits and administer other legal oaths, affirmations or declarations within their jurisdiction.

In order for a Commissioner to sign your document, please keep the following in mind:

  • The person making the oath (declarant) must be present.
  • The document should be signed in front of the Commissioner, not before.
  • The declarant must have valid government issued photo I.D.

Please use the follwing link to book an appointment for commissioning documents:

Legislative Services Booking Form

  • Canadian or foreign Driver's Licence
  • British Columbia Services Card
  • Provincial or territorial Identity Cards
  • Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card
  • Canadian Firearms License
  • Nexus Card
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Citizenship Card (issued prior to 2012)
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status
  • Passport (Canadian or foreign)
  • Corrections Services Canada issued I.D.

A fee of $10.00 + HST is payable for this service.

Note: the fee is subject to increase January 1st each year

Appointments are not required but encouraged. Please call/email us ahead to make sure that a Commissioner is available before coming into Town Hall/Municipal Office.

A Commissioner for taking Affidavits is not a Notary Public and cannot notarize your documents.

You will need to contact a Non-Lawyer Notary Public or Lawyer if you require a document to be notarized.

By virtue of their office under the Municipal Act, certain individuals in the Legislative and Corporate Services Department may certify true copies of documents.

A fee of $1.00 +HST per certified page is payable for this service.

Right of Refusal of Service

Commissioners can't provide service for any of the following documents:

  • Enduring Power of Attorney Forms
  • Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada Applications
  • Witnessing Wills, Living Wills or Codicils
  • Documents to be filed out of Province (see a Notary Public or Federal Commissioner)

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.